History

The Windmills Soccer Club was formed in 1950 when Dutch immigrants led by Hank Beumer, who arrived in Australia that year, organised scratch matches combined with outings and picnics on Sundays for the local Dutch community. Meetings soon took place and it was agreed that the Windmills name be adopted for a new soccer team during a discussion at the Dutch Club in King Street, Perth.

Windmills' first official game was in April, 1951 when the club were 4-3 victors over CMH. The next game was against the tough Polish team, Sokol, who won 4-2. Windmills finished their first season in a respectable 5th position in the 11 team league.

The Windmills club changed their name to Morley-Windmills after the merger with the Morley Soccer Club in 1973 and soon after moved into their brand new premises at Wotton Reserve, in Embelton. The club is proud of our Dutch heritage, but we are also very proud that we are a multi-cultural club, with many of our players and supporters now being of many different nationalities.

Click thumbs below to enlarge.

  • history
  • history